In May 2012, following a recommendation by close friends, we were asked if we could fit in a wedding for just 12 people, preferably mid-week. Because of the personal introduction and the size of the party, we could manage to offer this, even though we had large weddings at the weekends either side. Katie’s ideas about what she wanted were clear from the outset. It was an exciting concept and after a useful wedding planning meeting, we settled on what turned out to be a superb programme:-
- On Tuesday evening Katie’s party checked in at Belmount, before joining Murray and his best man for dinner at the Drunken Duck.
- At mid-day on Wednesday, a sophisticated light lunch – smoked salmon, cucumber with mint butter sandwiches and a cheeseboard was served in the dining room.
- The indoor marquee, which can accommodate up to 84 guests for a wedding breakfast, was transformed into a delightful ceremony room (see slideshow below), with beautiful flowers provide by Alex from the flower shop in Ambleside. Piano accompaniment for the ceremony was provided by Kath Dodd. Katie had organised chair covers from Ambience which created a delightful atmosphere.
- After the ceremony at 2.00pm, the party enjoyed a celebratory drink in the library downstairs.
- At 3.00pm the party left Belmount (Murray and Katie in Bill Hartree’s wonderful 1932 Rolls Royce), to go to Coniston for a cruise on the Gondola.
- For 2 hours from 3.30pm, the party enjoyed a scenic cruise on Gondola, with Pimms, champagne and canapes. During the cruise the wedding cake was cut and served. Music was provided by the Lakes Quartet.
- At 6.00pm the guests returned to Belmount for champagne and crouquet on the lawn.
- With the dining room set up beautifully dinner was served:-
Asparaus rolled in Smoked Salmon, slow roast Belly of Pork, Pavlova Meringue or Creme Brulee and a superb Cheeseboard. Fine wines were served throughout including Chateau D’Yquem with the Puddings, Port and Champagne Truffles with the Coffee.
- On Thursday morning after breakfast (which included baked beans and poached eggs especially for Murray),Belmount said “au revoir” to an exceptionally happy Bride and Groom – a quote from Katie’s note:-
‘Thank you doesn’t quite seem to be enough to say how much we appreciated your efforts in making our wedding day perfect…’
If you would like to know more about a Bijou Wedding at Belmount Hall please get in touch.